Friday, September 08, 2006

Every once in a Blue Moon...

For all you music nerds out there, the new album from M. Ward is astonishingly good. Never heard of M. Ward? Hey, I'm kinda new to the party, too. But the song crafting is unique yet strangely familiar. As if this guy (M. Ward, the singer/guitarist, supported by a groovy cast of art school dweebs that can play the crap out of anything) somehow has actually been around forever. Try - just, TRY - to get the song "Magic Trick" out of your head after you just NEED to listen to it like 14 times. And "Rollercoaster" unwinds like a summer sunset. Buy this album, if you like arty farty crap that I'll put on a higher shelf nonetheless. My rating for the album "Post-War" - a gawddamn straight up A.

Maya and Sarah have been in San Diego for the last two days, doing medical conference stuff for Sarah and playtime with Nanna and Poppy for Maya. I've been working and seeing some old Seattle haunts that I adore. Like the Blue Moon Tavern where Sarah and I met. I went there Wednesday night and the bartender, Tom, is this old local 'round my age that I know from when he was a barista at Last Exit when it still was on Brooklyn Avenue and thereafter up on University Avenue. I've got a real knack for faces and usually the name to go with it, so I questioned Tom as he brought me a pint if he was indeed the bio I remembered. We caught up and then I realized that I had a picture of Maya in my wallet. I took it out and introduced Maya with the juicy morsel of truth that I met her mother at that first table up on the landing. Tom doubted me a bit, but then gave me my due. Affectionately. Plus a round of beers for the folks around me. Damn good moment at the Blue Moon. Both times. Wish y'all coulda been there.

Hope everyone's got moments aplenty this weekend. Rock on.

No comments: