Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Suggested sequel title - "16 Appointments with October, My Flirty Life Coach"

Oh, dear sweet cynical hipsters - is there any movie more unjustly derided by the sort of people that actually bought color-coordinated trucker hats a few years ago than "500 Days of Summer"? I doubt it. My rating - B-plus. We saw it last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. Joseph Gordon-Levitt carries it with crackin' good cuteness and surprising acting chops throughout. I only wish he didn't have such a bamboozle of a name to trip over time and again. Zooey Deschanel plays the character that she's now unfairly always expected to play - all look-don't-touch sexiness and vintage store style. He's like a narrow shouldered doodling James Dean and she's an updated version of Audrey Hepburn that you want to secretly bunch in the throat. The supporting cast is basically made of cardboard. The quirky fractured timeline might put some people off. But here's where I step off the pier without knowing how murky or deep the water is below. It works. It really gawddamn works. And the ending is a real treat. So I offer one piece of advice to those debating whether or not to see it. If you're not sure if you're in love or even serious like with the one you're with, don't do it as a date movie. I'll be a bit of a dick and say that I saw it on a decidedly fun anniversary date with my wife after which we went out for a top-drawer dinner to discuss the movie and life otherwise (Restaurant Zoe in Belltown - a totally A-rating Seattle bistro). But even if you're just beginning to feel something for a new partner with whom you'll head back out to your fixed gear bikes carrying a few PBR tallboys in the backpack to enjoy in a park on the way home, tamp down the snark and dive in. "500 Days of Summer" is the sort of movie that will split opinion like a wet comb. You're either on this side or that one. You know where I am. Bonus points for Gordon-Levitt's full-bore karaoke version of "Here Comes Your Man" by The Pixies. I haven't played that song in years and I forgot how much I love it. I even played it for Maya in the car on the way to daycare this morning and she sort of agreed. Maybe she was just humoring me.

Hope your own opinions are truly your own today. Rock on.

No comments: