Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Louis and Lindsay - now there's a couple that would work

I was reminded by the first handful of minutes of today's "Fresh Air with Terry Gross" interview that I just love, love, love Louis C.K.  He's not everyone's cup of tea.  His shows are of very mixed quality, "Pootie Tang" lives on less as a movie than as a brilliant title, and now that he's divorced...well, there goes a ton of the best material he had to offer.  Right?  Um, nope.  He's still hilarious, even if now waxing on about being divorced and then waxing off how much of a screw-up he is as a 40-something self-deprecating schlub.  No one is better on the generally horrible late night talk shows than him.  Hell, I even watched him on Leno a few weeks ago.  If somebody can figure out a way to get me to watch Leno, he's frickin' Einstein.  Given the tenor and nuance of Louis C.K.'s comedy, that just might be true.  I've watched the first two episodes of his new sitcom ("Louie" on FX) - my rating is an underwhelmed but ever hopeful C.  But the poker game opening of the second episode is stellar.  Here's hoping the trajectory is continuing way up.

Anyone who writes anything today on the internets is apparently required by law to say something about Lindsay Lohan's 90-day jail sentence for being a bad parolee.  She's such a continuing flaming cartwheel that I just can't go there.  Instead, I must compliment the young woman on some seriously cool penmanship - check out the close-up of her notes that are meant to focus your eye on her snarky body art.  Seriously.  That's some cool amalgam handwriting.  I'd love to have an expert dissect it for me.  Very expressive, dangerously narcissistic, mature beyond her years envelope-pusher - I might guess.  But that makes me no better than TMZ, so I'll fall back to my original position and politely move on.

Seattle's gone summery today.  It feels like we're all on vacation in another dimension.  I give it 48 hours before everyone starts bitching about the heat.  Rock on.

No comments: