Monday, May 15, 2006

Bordering inanity, yet again

Of all the things Dubya could be saying to the Nation this Monday evening smack dab in the middle of Sweeps Month, he's carting out a plan to fight a war along the Mexican border. If I were a conspiracist, I'd think that he was doing this just to spite me as we prepare to head South of said border next weekend for a month. But do I really think he's merely trying to turn even more of the World against us? Nah, Dubya's just trying to pull some of his base back on board his sinking Preziduncy. And, yes, he would indeed harm us abroad even moreso. This one will get sunk by the public. Kinda like saying that we're going to put a man on Mars. Dumb ideas. I can't imagine that many Americans are going to agree that we need to send thousands of National Guard troops to southernmost Texas, Arizona, New Mexico and California just as the summer heat begins to truly kick in. Not to mention our horribly overburdered National Guard in so many States given their extended overseas work in Iraq. The real issues will remain regardless after this charade is long forgotten. And if ABC and CBS decide today to not even carry the speech, Dubya's stumble up to the bully pulpit with this stinker of a plan just might sink support for him further into the muck. I'll be watching so you don't have to.

Lots going on for us recently and in the upcoming days. We had a fair and balanced family trip to DC last week. It was Maya's 10th trip in little more than a year of traveling. Her new faves are the moving walkways and escalators in the airports, in addition to the constantly repeated reading of her favorite books all along the way. We stayed just on the West End side of Georgetown, which allowed me to troll along M Street with Maya and get a better feel for DC life. Living in that part of DC is, I'm assuming, similar to living in LA and spotting actors here there and everywhere. I saw George Stephanopolus walking down the street and gave him a hearty, "hey, George" - his response was lively and friendly, to his credit. I saw a sweaty Joe Lockhart finishing up a run and grabbing a latte at Dean and Deluca, looking like a high school P.E. teacher with a bad haircut. We had dinner at the home of friends who live across the street from John Negroponte. You couldn't swing a dead cat for more than a few cycles without clipping an overly cosmetic and pill-popping spouse of a Congressperson. Before DC gets downright intolerably hot and steamy it's a heckuva good place to visit.

For those of you that track such changes, life here at and the Family Buick is going to shift to more of a travelogue in the days and weeks ahead. We're going to be in Mexico for a month beginning this Saturday. Not really sure what all I'll get in while we're there. Plenty of pics, at the very least. So please check back. Hope your own plans in the near future take you to new and intriguing locales. Rock on.

1 comment:

vcthree said...

Just like the President to schedule a "Cover My Ass" speech on the day of the finale of "Prison Break". Now I'm going to have to go home, and make sure that my DVR doesn't record that sonofaBush...because I'm tired of these Addresses from him. I already know what he's going to say before it leaves his mouth (SEPTEMBER 11th, 2001). But you watch--CBS and ABC will fold, and air the Dumbass-in-Chief in his entirety. You can watch it, but I'm going to have to...because I have to program my network, see...