Sunday, July 23, 2006

Tiger and Floyd - proving to the World that while Americans can suck, we are also enviably inspiring

There are athletes. And then there are serious punch-you-in-the-heart-and-make-you-get-teary- at-the-mere-suggestion-of-what-they-do athletes. Tiger Woods is the best example of the latter I can think of in my lifetime of watching sports. Floyd Landis is a damn close finisher in the moment that is this Sunday, albeit one without the inspiringly long rise to prominance. But whatever sort of taste you may have lingering with regard to sports currently on the palette (I'm talking to you, France), today's stories of Tiger winning the British Open and Landis winning the Tour de France should wash away any lingering saltiness. If only the forces aligned along the border region of Israel and Lebanon could take a moment and tearfully watch "SportsCenter"...I swear that we would all thereafter be looking at a much brighter Monday rather than lamenting an unfortunate Sunday hangover. Now if only I could get the Brew Crew to watch the same ESPN segments that I suggest for the Middle East...

Maya's really taken her command of the word "No!" to a new extreme. "No!" now means just about everything. "More!" "Yes!" "Guiliani!" "Eggplant!" "The Netherlands!" "I love you!" All new 'rents I'm sure can understand my surprising interpretation of her limited lexicon. But she's bounding forward in so many other ways that I'd be remiss if I left that snarky impression stand without qualification. She's so much more communicative that we've begun to worry about Sarah's rampant profanity - check back on our plans for corrective treatment in that regard. In another vein, Maya's got a new baby pal to chill with over the next few days - Sarah's cousin Annie and her equally cool hubbie Chris arrived last night with their 4-month-old-ish daughter Eliza. Expect a fair dollop of cute pics featuring the kids to be dumped atop the banana split that is and the Family Buick in the near future.

Hope your own highlight shows shove that metaphorical frog way up into the throat as the week begins. Rock on.

No comments: