Tuesday, May 17, 2005

A Moment to Rant...

I have approximately 17 seconds to get this post up while Maya takes a momentary nap, so I hope you'll excuse me for any perceived lack of decorum. We've had a perfectly non-normal morning here, with a run by the three of us (for the first time AS A FAMILY!) in the early morning and then a late-morning feeding meeting with Sarah between her classes up the hill. Maya's amazing, but napping ain't her thing. Thank gawd for TiVo and the glider chair and the ability to engage with her without ungainly angst.

But my point...I, for one, will not be pulled into this circular firing squad following the NEWSWEEK retraction. If the Bushies want so dearly to cast blame on someone for the mess they've made, I must only ask why they think the Muslim world is so ready to burn and kill and generally pull a wedgie on their respective societies whenever even the most ridiculous examples of (alleged, as of this posting) American abuses hit the fan? If NEWSWEAK is the reason we're being burned in effigy, I'd be the first to suggest flushing them down our society's collective toilet. But they, as a half-assed, probably-guilty-of-incompetence cheese-rag have only inadvertently tapped into the most obvious and available vein of anti-Americanism we've seen in the last few weeks. I'll let all the other item-specific-obsessed maniacs out there (who I love dearly - don't get me wrong) pick this carcass clean and argue over the entrails in the days ahead. I'm just amazed that nothing - I mean NOTHING - has been broadcast about the American troop losses in the last few weeks in Iraq. Scott "I'm Jeff Gannon's Bitch" McClellan and all the Pentagon flunkies can rant about the lives lost in Afghanistan protests all they want. But they're the ones history will hoist on it's collective petard when all this static quiets down.

Shite...Maya just awoke with a crazed streak of "why aren't you hovering over me?" questions. Time to better serve Her Majesty. Rock on.

No comments: