Friday, May 27, 2005

Star gazing

It's a very gray Friday proving that the fog has returned to San Francisco. There's surely plenty of Bridge-jumpers out there lamenting this fact. But I, for one, love the comforting dampness of it all. Sarah's got a full clinic schedule today so Maya's on the bottle with her Dad during bizness hours. We were just finishing a bottle and segwaying into a bit of a nap on Maya's part. I'm embarrassed to admit that I was surfing the crapola that dominates TV this time of day and paused for a brief soul-shaking moment on "The View" where the ladies were discussing how they keep the fire lit in their respective arranged marriages or the like. Please don't ever watch that show. But I think we all should be made aware of the fact that Star Jones has lost enough weight to make herself an extra Al Roker. Oh, and she's happiest beneath her hubbie's left armpit. Um...I'll get back to this after I puke up breakfast.

Last night's 826 book event was the chance to showcase a project at Balboa High School where I did some in-school and subsequent editing work. It was a beautiful example of how young writers can grow thanks to a well-designed and lovingly-administered project. Dave Eggers and all the people associated with 826 Valencia do amazing work. That's why I'll be raising cash for them with my own meager efforts to successfully run this summer's San Francisco Marathon. Expect much more on that project soon. But for the time being, I hope you'll check out the expanding 826 orbit of writing centers in major American cities.

DeLay's PAC Treasurer got convicted. But DeLay's still clean? Right.

The Wall Street Journal today features a surprising editorial (subscription required) on their overall disappointment with the 109th Congress and its inability to agree on anything even with a workable Republican majority in both chambers and with Dubya in the White House. There are few times I agree with the WSJ op-ed folks. But in this case I concur completely.

Oops...Maya's nap has ended before it really began. More later, I promise.

No comments: