Thursday, March 29, 2007

"If it pleases the Chairman, I'd like to request a break to change my shorts for the first time."

Before I offer a few quick thoughts on Gonzo's mess over at the (In)Justice Department, the following Karl Rove clip deserve a quick mention. This guy can't even deliver a scripted joke, much less a legacy for Dubya that doesn't start with mention of Iraq. If you want to throw up in your own mouth just a little, here's the finger for your gag reflex.



Kyle Sampson's getting the knobby end of the bat right about now in front of the Senate's Judiciary Committee. As far as political theatre goes, this is burlesque. The doods over at TalkingPoints Memo are providing the best blow-by-blows that I've seen, especially since they've been way out front on this story from the beginning. After just a handful of questions, Sampson's already complicated Gonzo's future testimony hugely. My lockbox prediction - "You Can Call Me Al" Gonzales will be out within a week. On a related level of almost indigestible irony, it doesn't seem that we'll have a chance to see what sort of legal mind Pat Robertson's "law" (wink wink) "school" (nudge nudge) arms a young Bushie with since Monica "(insert your own Lewinsky joke here)" Goodling is taking the Fifth to avoid testifying. Just pile her on the mountain of felonious lackey roadkill in this scandal. And for those Bushie apologists that say this is a political fishing expedition I offer just one counter - with bait like this, who needs to go fishin'.

Hope your own limit is caught early on. Rock on.

3 comments:

Joseph Story said...

As a dog returns to its vomit so too does a fool to his folly. Please tell me you're a lawyer so that I can enjoy dragging you from the proverbial boat as I take your foolish bait. If you're not a lawyer, then don't read further. I don't enjoy hurting those that haven't been given the tools to know better.

You said,

Pat Robertson's "law" (wink wink) "school" (nudge nudge) arms a young Bushie with since Monica "(insert your own Lewinsky joke here)" Goodling is taking the Fifth to avoid testifying. Just pile her on the mountain of felonious lackey roadkill in this scandal. And for those Bushie apologists that say this is a political fishing expedition I offer just one counter - with bait like this, who needs to go fishin'.

Let me first state that I am a proud graduate of Regent. I do not care for Robertson. However, when compared to my advanced law degree from Georgetown, Regent's education is superior. And one last caveat--I am and have never been a Bush supporter in any capacity whatsoever.

That said, let's address your first not your pejorative comments but rather your assumption that Monica Goodling is somehow felonious? Hmmm? Tell me what possible felonious act you worry about? Is it possible that she wants to avoid the Pat Fitzgeralds of the world who aren't looking to prosecute the guilty but the innocent?

Now answer this: What possible scandal can exist from a President who is exercising his power well within the limits of constitutional power to hire and fire his staff? Note the query does not ask you to analyze Bush. After all, Clinton also fired his U.S. Attorneys.

Finally, please tell me why a U.S. Attorney who fails to follow a President's agenda can be said to be performing adequately? Isn't the President the chief executive who dictates what laws will be executed and how?

Unknown said...

For the dink from Regent who has WAY too much time to lament his fellow alumni's pickle, I offer one link. TalkingPoints Memo has been out front in describing all the legal bunk involved. I'm not a lawyer, but I respect the law and research my statements. You? To answer your question, I'll be brief. Giving someone (Patrick McNulty in the case of Monica Goodling) reason to give false testimony to Congress is a felony. Period. You mislead, you do time - in this context. That's why your beloved Monica ain't laying down the law. Because she broke it.

Joseph Story said...

Regent dink? Pejorative comments...hmmm...that's the best you can do?

You said, "Giving someone--reason--to give false testimony is a felony? Really? Suppose I tell a criminal that even though he may get off if he lies on the stand, he's not supposed to lie. I give him the speech on the rule of law. I tell him not to. He says he won't. Now the criminal takes the stand and I don't know he's going to lie but he does lie. If asked why, he says, "Well my attorney gave me a reason to lie. He said I'd get off but he did tell me not to." Felony? Hardly you shmuck.

Since you're into research, tell me where in the U.S. Constitution do you find Congress with the power to hold these hearings and subpoena another branch of government? Hmm? You owe this research to the child you hold dear in your picture; you owe it to him so that you can raise him to prove the vitriolic rhetoric dripping from your lips. (I'll save you some time--you lose.)

Monica Goodling broke no law nor was she tasked with "laying down" any law. She's doing what Scooter Libby should have done--take the 5th for questions about a NON-CRIME to begin with.