Thursday, February 11, 2010

Trying to reclaim "napalm" as a term of endearment? Good luck, brother.

I don't think this has ever been true before.  But there just may be an article in "Playboy" worth buying the magazine for that in all ways exceeds the interest in the dirty(ish) pictures of the nekkid ladies.  If you haven't heard by now, John Mayer gave an interview where he really veered far afield of what's cool to say about being black versus being white in America.  The talk about sex, however, is where this amp gets turned up to eleven.  Especially on the scale of hilarity.  His rant on Jessica Simpson being the sexual equivalent of crack cocaine is pants-peeing-level funny talk.  So unless you're one of the 14 remaining subscribers to the magazine, I suggest finding a way to get your hands on a copy of the March issue.  The online version appears to be a red herring that I'm sure will be exploited to the hilt by the internet's murkier elements, if my use of the Google this morning is an accurate representation of what's being done with the search terms "John Mayer Playboy interview transcript" of even just "John Mayer".  Regardless, I give his shtick the absolute highest recommendation for those willing to wade into the dark waters of necessary pop culture inanity.

I've been doing some blogging for the last few weeks for the no-longer-a-newspaper version of the Seattle Post-Intelligencer.  I suggested a group blog to the PI months ago, and a handful of us launched the expanded and sillied-up version of a neighborhood blog.  For the time being, I put up a Monday post.  It's really an antiquated model for running a "blog" - more 1990s online journalism thinking than anything else.  But if you're looking to see a few things about my part of Seattle written with a just slightly more journalistic bent, you should give it a looksie.  I'll keep you posted if I blow the doors off of any neighborhood snark in desperate need of cross promotion.  Until then, I'm just seeing how much I can get away with before the editors start actually doing their jobs (getting in a "BOOBS!" joke this past Monday being my most sophomoric example thus far).

Hope your own instincts for self-promotion are tempered by pop culture diversions today.  Rock on.

No comments: