Wednesday, February 02, 2005

SOTU Eve - Chestnuts Roasting On a Cliched Fire

Just my luck - as soon as I came out in opposition to Dean's candidacy for DNC Chair, the PowersThatBe say that he's sewn it up. Let's regain some perspective, my belovably-smartish readers. Wellington Webb was a non-starter and Martin Frost was a throwback to an era when...ah hell, he never was a possibility. But are there no others in the mix beyond Dean, Fowler and the no-chance-in-hell Rosenberg (who I will come out of the closet as acknowledging as my preference)? I mean, SERIOUSLY?!!! If the Dems are going to be relevant, they need to debate their leadership with a hard-edged relevancy. Dean's a downtick in support for the Party waiting to loom large.

Everyone in DC is focused, as they should be, on the State of the Union speech. Aside from the boozers in the Dupont Circle hotspots, little attention I fear will be given to the actual policy shifts that should be expected in the speech. And how many Americans are willing to hear that Iraq suddenly became a success story after Sunday's election when we still have 150,000 troops there and over 1400 Americans have died there thus far? That's the true test of this speech - will Americans allow Bush to once again change the subject?

For those of you interested in actual news, Michael Chertoff's confirmation hearings in the Senate are worth noticing. He'll get in, but I would have preferred Bernie Kerik when you consider what a sleezy yes-man Chertoff may well be. Seriously.

If this is true, I'm going to be sick.

And even though I loved "Festival Diaries" on Sundance, Jay Mohr appears to be disgusting. Oh well.

Enjoy the SOTU - I'll present a full diary soon thereafter. Comment if you get a chance.






No comments: