Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Condi Wins 16-2, and the GOP Decries the Safety

Not much of a surprise out of the Condi as Secretary of State hearings. Sure, she responded with ridiculously defensive snarls when questioned by Barbara Boxer yesterday. But in the overall view, everyone gave her a pass. Well, everyone except Boxer, John Kerry and the subsequently expected capitulation on the Dems part when it came to a floor vote. As a result, her coronation, er...confirmation, will be delayed until next week. Sorry, Dubya - yer just gonna need to wait to beat down those non-believers at State. This changes little, I will be the first to observe. Still, putting up a false barrier to the steam-rollers of the NeoCons provides some empty hope for us all.

Honestly, Condi will be an absolutely terrible Secretary of State. If not the worst, surely the most ineffectual and dangerously stilted. Call your victories what you will, my rhetorical opponents. But you're fighting a game of legitimacy that I most assuredly believe you will not win. Good luck - tomorrow's Inauguration will give all of us much to comment upon. Unfortunately, I fear I will only see the ugly and decidedly not-regal. That's how she works when you won't pay $250K for a seat. But C-SPAN is my best friend, when it comes to this crap. I will watch it all and hope any of you reading this do the same. America needs our sincere interest. And I, above all wish DC the best. Rock on.

No comments: